Resolving disagreements

The Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2004 introduces a new framework for providing support for children and young people who need some additional help with their learning.

The Act aims to ensure that all children and young people are provided with the necessary support to help them work towards achieving their full potential.

It also encourages all those supporting children and young people to work together.

What do I do if I don't agree with the planning for my child?

If a decision is made about your child's additional support needs which you don't agree with you should contact your child's school or nursery in the first instance. You may also contact the Additional Support Manager in your area to discuss your concerns. (Their contact details can be found on the reverse of this leaflet) You will be listened to carefully and we will try to address your concerns.

North Lanarkshire Council is committed to resolving differences of views through discussion, dialogue and building on common ground.


If the matter cannot be resolved with the Education Authority you have the right to request mediation. An independent mediation service is available to parents, carers and young people through Resolve. Mediation is free and independent of the Education Authority.

Independent Adjudication

In the event that a disagreement cannot be resolved through mediation, then an application for Independent Adjudication can be made by parents or carers, free of charge. The Independent Adjudicator will make recommendations to the Education Authority about how the dispute should be resolved.

Additional Support Needs Tribunal

The Additional Support Needs Tribunal has been set up to hear appeals made by parents, carers or young people on the decisions made by the Education Authority relating to Coordinated Support Plans. If you disagree with any decision relating to your child's Coordinated Support Plan or the content of it you may be able to refer to the Tribunal. Information on how you make a reference can be obtained from the Additional Support Manager for your area.

More information on resolving disagreements can be found in a series of leaflets published by Enquire and Resolve: these leaflets can be obtained by request from the Additional Support Manager for your area.

If you require any further advice about your child's additional support needs, contact the Additional Support Manager.

You can also get more help and advice from:

National Help Line

Enquire 0845 123 2303

A to Z of services