Information for parents and carers

The Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2004 introduces a new framework for providing support for children and young people who need some additional help with their learning.The Act aims to ensure that all children and young people are provided with the necessary support to help them work towards achieving their full potential. It also encourages all those supporting children and young people to work together. The Act introduces the concept of Additional Support Needs.

What are Additional Support Needs?

If your child needs extra help or support in addition to that which is usually provided in school they can be said to have 'additional support needs'. Children may need additional support for a short or long period of time and for a variety of reasons. The reasons can include:

  • Social or emotional difficulties
  • Problems at home
  • Being particularly able
  • A physical disability
  • Moving house frequently
  • Behavioural difficulties
  • Bullying
  • A sensory impairment
  • Communication problems
  • Being a young carer
  • Being a young parent
  • Having English as a second language

These are some of the reasons for additional support. However, there are many others. It is important to recognise that Additional Support Needs will always depend on each individual child. Any number of different circumstances can affect children's ability to learn. Support may need to come from health, social work, or some voluntary organisations as well as from education. We will all work together with you to make sure the support your child needs is properly planned to help them to make progress in their learning.

What is Additional Support?

Additional support is the help your child receives to enable them to meet their learning targets. It can take a variety of forms:

  • Extra time with a teacher or assistant - individually or in a group
  • Support to attend school
  • Support from a therapist (e.g. a speech therapist or physiotherapist)
  • Different class work or homework
  • Someone to help with writing (a scribe)
  • Equipment to help with learning (e.g. a laptop or software)
  • Time away from the classroom when your child needs it
  • Counselling
  • A 'buddy' (an older pupil who looks out for your child in the playground or helps with study)
  • More time to complete work or do tests or exams.

If you are concerned or worried about your child's progress and any difficulties they may be having you should contact the nursery or school in the first instance.

If you require any further advice about your child's additional support needs, contact the Additional Support Manager.

You can also get more help and advice from:

Enquire 0845 123 2303

A to Z of services