What we hold
Airdrie's Local Studies Discovery Room is a reference and research facility covering Airdrie, Coatbridge and the Monklands area, provided by the Museums and Heritage Section of North Lanarkshire Council Learning & Leisure Services. It is based at Airdrie Library in Wellwynd, Airdrie.
It has a variety of collections available to help you to find out about local history or discover your family tree. Use of the resources is free of charge. Staff members are always available to help researchers with any aspect of our service.
LOCAL HISTORY RESOURCES
The Reference Library
A large and wide ranging collection of books including virtually everything that has been published relating to the history of Airdrie, Coatbridge and the Monklands area. Other categories include Scottish history, industrial history, family history, Lanarkshire history, local literary figures and local religious history.
Monklands Photographic Collection (U6, U34). Approximately 3000 photos of Airdrie, Coatbridge, surrounding villages and countryside, local events and people.
The Kennedy Albums (U44). Over 500 photos of Airdrie streets and buildings taken by the Burgh Sanitary Inspector, mainly in the1950s.
The John White Collection (U142). Over 200 photographs of Coatbridge taken by a local historian in the 1960s and 1970s.
The Monklands Map Collection. We have over 500 maps and plans. There are Ordnance Survey maps (First, Second and New Editions, small and large scale), local estate maps, burgh plans, street plans, geological maps, mine workings plans and bound atlases.
We have a number of local newspapers and journals viewable on microfilm.
- Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser, 1855 - present
- Coatbridge Express, 1885 - 1951
- Coatbridge Leader, 1905 - 1957
- The Airdrie Literary Album, 1828 - 1829
- The Airdrie Journal, 1850 - 1851
- The Airdrie & Coatbridge Luminary, 1847 and 1851-1852
- The Coatbridge & Airdrie Standard, 1868
The Monklands Collection. A wide-ranging assortment of transitory printed and manuscript paper items built up over the last 150 years at Airdrie Library, relating to the last 2000 years of our area's heritage.
- Burgh of Airdrie, 1897 - 1975
- Burgh of Coatbridge, 1904 - 1975
- Monklands District Council, 1975 - 1996
- North Lanarkshire Council, 1996 - present
FAMILY HISTORY RESOURCES
Old Parochial Registers
Lists of births (baptisms), marriages and occasionally deaths recorded by Church of Scotland parish churches.
- Old Monkland Parish, 1695 - 1854
- New Monkland Parish, 1693 - 1854
- Shotts Parish, 1707 - 1854
- Bothwell Parish, 1671 - 1854
- Cadder Parish, 1662 - 1854
A complete listing of all the people living in the area, giving their age occupation, parish of birth and other information. Censuses were carried out every 10th year from 1841. This personal information remains secret for 100 years.
- Old Monkland Parish (652), 1841 - 1901
- New Monkland Parish (651), 1841 - 1901
- Shotts Parish (655), 1841 - 1881
The Census Returns are on microfilm
We have paper, microfiche or digital finding aids for a number censuses:
- 1881 British Census and National Index - Searchable CD ROM
- Lanarkshire Census Index (1851) - Searchable CD ROM
- Lanarkshire Census Index (1861) - Searchable CD ROM
- Place name Indices for all local censuses, 1841 to 1901 - on paper
- Old Monkland Name Index (1851). - on paper and microfiche
- New Monkland Name Index(1851) - on paper and microfiche
- Shotts name index (1861) - on microfiche
- Cambusnethan name index (1861) - on microfiche
Scotland's People Vouchers
The Scotland's People Website is the definitive website for researching Scottish Ancestry. It is operated by the General Register Office For Scotland and the National Archives of Scotland in partnership. On this website you can access Statutory Registrations of births, marriages and deaths, church records, census returns and will information from every part of Scotland. It is a pay-site, but properly navigated it is a very economic method of accessing these records. Vouchers allowing access to the Scotland's People Website can be purchased at the Local Studies Discovery Room in Airdrie Library (Starter card of 60 credits - £6.00, Top-up card of 30 credits -£4.80). Advice and instruction on the use of the Scotland's People website is also available from the staff at the Local Studies Discovery Room, free of charge.
Lists of registered voters
- Burgh of Airdrie, 1919 - 1974 (incomplete)
- Burgh of Coatbridge, 1919 - 1974 (incomplete)
- Monklands District Council, 1976 - 1995
- Airdrie & Shotts District, 1996 - present
- Coatbridge & Chryston 1996 - 2005
Old Valuation Rolls
A listing of householders and property owners carried out annually for the purpose of levying the Rates (local taxation).
- Burgh of Airdrie, 1855 - 1950, 1961 - 1974
- Burgh of Coatbridge, 1885 - 1950, 1967 - 1974
- Monklands District Council, 1975 - 1993
Abridged Registers of Sasines
Abbreviated records of possession of feudal property.
County of Lanarkshire, 1831 - 1947
International Genealogical Index (IGI)
An alphabetical index of births, christenings and marriages for the whole of Scotland (by County) covering the period from the 17th century to the mid 19th century. Compiled by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) from the Old Parochial Registers held in the Scottish Record Office. The I.G.I. is a good finding-aid for use in conjunction with the Old Parochial Registers. We also have indices for England, Wales and Ireland. Available on microfiche and free online.
Graveyard Headstone Inscription Listings
Limited surveys of some graveyards in New Monkland (4), Old Monkland (1) and Cumbernauld(1). Also Mitchell's Monumental Inscriptions In Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire.