Colzium Estate and Museum

Located within Colzium House

Listed buildings Colzium House

Colzium House Museum is situated within the historic mansion house for the Colzium Lennox estate, to the east end of the town of Kilsyth on the A803 Stirling Road.

The house was once the seat of the Edmonstone family but became the property of the Burgh of Kilsyth after the Second World War. Built in 1783, it was substantially enlarged in 1861.  Much of the original building was pulled down in the late 1940s, due to dry rot, but the Victorian frontage and wings survive to form the house we see today.

The museum comprises a single room on the second floor of the house, converted out of the former chapel.  Displays relate to the heritage of the surrounding area and include objects from the nearby castles of Colzium and Kilsyth as well as photographs and artefacts from the domestic and industrial settings of the locality.

The Colzium estate is rich in history and is open throughout the year.  Features of the estate include the excavated remains of a 15th Century L-plan tower house, once the seat of the Livingstons of Linlithgow but demolished in 1703.  Nearby is a traditional Scottish ice-house c.1680 which has been restored and is open for public inspection.  Also on the estate is a fine walled garden with numerous interesting shrubs and trees.  During working hours Parks staff are normally on hand to discuss the plants and respond to queries.

Other local historic features include the site of Kilsyth Castle, to the west of Colzium House by Allanfauld Road. Another 15th Century tower house, it survived until 1650 when it was attacked and burnt by Cromwell's troops as they advanced North. The remains provided the district with a free quarry for many years. Some carved stonework is now in Colzium House museum.

To the east of the estate are Banton Loch and the village of Banton, with its historic Swan Inn. The area formed the site of the 17th Century Battle of Kilsyth and was latterly known for its Victorian brickworks, samples of which are in the museum.

Summer term-time school workshops and holiday activities regularly take place. Please use the contact box for details.

Opening hours: Colzium House is not normally open to the public, unless by prior appointment.

The house is booked for weddings, conferences and private parties. As part of the house, the museum room can be opened on these occasions for guests to visit. For access when the house is closed, prior arrangements would have to be made through the museums service.

Disabled access and facilities: Disabled access, WCs and lift. Parking is available close to the house, 'Blue badge' up hill at house entrance.  Cafes available in nearby Kilsyth.

Getting there:

The Colzium-Lennox Estate is situated to the east end of Kilsyth (Denny/Bonnybridge/Falkirk end) just off the Stirling Road. Enter by the stonework gateway (signed) just before/after the 30mph limit - depending from which way you are arriving

Other facilities: Parkland walks and walled garden, including children's play park, within the grounds of the Colzium-Lennox Estate. Battle of Kilsyth Memorial by adjacent Banton Loch, 5 mins walk.

Please use the 'contact us' box if you have any questions. For more information, see 'related pages', 'downloads' or 'other useful websites'.

A to Z of services