Scottish Welfare Fund
Scottish Welfare Fund
Crisis grants and community care grants
From 1 April 2013, the Scottish Welfare Fund replaced parts of the Discretionary Social Fund previously administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
The Scottish Welfare Fund is a discretionary scheme provided by North Lanarkshire Council and provides two types of grant, Community Care Grants and Crisis Grants.
Community Care Grants may be issued to people who need support to live independently in the community, and will mostly provide items such as furniture or appliances.
Crisis Grants may be provided for basic expenses in the event of a one-off crisis.
Are you eligible to apply?
Applicants must be aged 16 or over and be in receipt of either:
- Income Support;
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance;
- State Pension Credit;
- Income Related Employment & Support Allowance;
- In exceptional circumstances an award may be made without a qualifying benefit.
If you are in crisis you can apply for a grant by calling 0300 555 0405.
To apply for a Community Care Grant, please complete the application form on the right of the page and return to: Scottish Welfare Fund, PO Box 19078, Finance and Customer Services, Motherwell ML1 9DU
Applications for Crisis Grants will be processed within two working days. Community Care Grants will be processed within 15 working days.
The DWP will still deal with certain payments including: Sure Start maternity grants, funeral payments, cold weather payments, winter fuel payments, budgeting loans and short-term advances of benefit. You can contact the DWP on 0800 032 7952.
If you are unhappy with a decision regarding an application to the Scottish Welfare Fund and wish for it to be looked at again you can ask us to carry out a review:
- First Tier Reviews must be in writing and made within 20 working days of the original decision. They should include the reason for the request, the date of the decision in question and any relevant change of circumstances.
- These reviews will be dealt with in two working days for Crisis Grants and 15 working days for Community Care Grants. The review will be carried out by a decision maker who was not involved in the original decision.
- If, following this First Tier Review, you are still unhappy with the decision, you can ask for another review known as a Second Tier Review. This will be dealt with in five working days for Crisis Grants and 30 working days for Community Care Grants.