Skip to main content
Close notification
Coronavirus latest

Service updates and advice

Scottish Welfare Fund

Self-Isolation Grant COVID-19

The purpose of the grant is to help people aged 16 and over, who are on low income, and who have to self-isolate to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

This grant should support people to afford to comply with the Test & Protect or equivalent service's requirement for them to self-isolate and was extended from 7 December 2020.

Applications should be made during the isolation period and you may be eligible for a £500 payment if you meet all the following criteria:

  • You, or a child you are the primary carer for, are required to self-isolate at the request of NHS Test & Protect or equivalent service, on or after 28 September, and
  • You are employed or self-employed.
  • Are unable to work from home and will lose earnings as a result, for example you will receive Statutory Sick Pay or no pay, and
  • You are in receipt of Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, Income-based Employment and Support Allowance, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit, and/or Pension Credit or those on a low income, who would have an underlying eligibility for Universal Credit (based on earnings prior to the self-isolation request period) but have not yet made an application.

Evidence required for the Self-Isolation Grant - Covid-19 is:

  • A recent bank statement, which must match bank account details stated on the application.
  • Proof of low income if you are not in receipt of a benefit listed above.
  • Proof of employment such as a recent payslip, or if you are self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income and proof that your business delivers services which cannot be undertaken without social contact, and
  • a statement declaring that you will experience reduced income due to your period of self-isolation.
  • where it is a child who is required to isolate, the applicant should confirm via the self-declaration form that they are the parent or primary carer, they meet all the qualifying criteria and they will experience a loss in earnings as a result of staying home to care for the child.

People in the same household can each make an individual applications to receive the payment, if they each meet the eligibility criteria, however, in the case of parents/carers isolating with children only one payment will be made.

The payments are designed to support people currently in receipt of the benefits listed above, or those who have an underlying eligibility to Universal Credit, who will experience a reduction in earnings as a result of having to self-isolate. As such HMRC has advised that the payment will be subject to income tax.

You must be 16 or older and on a low income to apply for a Crisis, Community Care or Self-Isolation Grant

Page last updated:
15 Dec 2020

Thank you for your feedback
Help us improve this page Close

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time, please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve.