Public health

Advice on statutory nuisance and National Assistance Burials

We will investigate service requests about alleged statutory nuisance. Typical enquiries relate to:

  • Drainage issues resulting in discharge of sewage or waste water
  • House condition problems resulting in structural dampness
  • Accumulations of refuse which could provide harbourage for rodents
  • Smells emanating from commercial premises
  • Damaged areas of fencing of closed quarries that constitute a danger to members of the public
  • Light pollution
  • Noise pollution

Please note that complaints relating to council houses should, in the first instance, be made direct to the local housing office.

On finding a statutory nuisance, we will take appropriate action to resolve the matter. Whist these enquiries are often resolved informally, we can serve notice on the appropriate person requiring abatement of the statutory nuisance.

Legislation defines matters which may constitute a statutory nuisance. These are generally matters which may be prejudicial to health or a nuisance. Prejudicial to health is defined as injurious or likely to cause injury to health. The statutory nuisance regime, unlike common law nuisance, does not deal with harm to property.

If your complaint or enquiry is regarding a defective main sewer or water wastage, please contact Scottish Water Customer Service in first instance on 0845 601 8855.

If your complaint or enquiry is regarding a waste carrier , transfer or disposal issue or the pollution of water courses through surface water or ground water contamination please contact Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) on 0800 807060.

Please use the 'contact us' box if you have any questions. For more information, see 'related pages' and 'other useful websites'.

A to Z of services