Occasional use notice (track operator or occupier)

The Gambling Act 2005 provides that where there is betting on a track on eight days or less in a calendar year, betting may be permitted by an occasional use notice without the need for a full premises licence.

Track Operators and occupiers should be aware that the procedure for applying for an occasional use notice is different to that for a temporary use notice.

The Licensing Board has little discretion as regards these notices aside from assuring that the statutory limit of 8 days in a calendar year is not exceeded. The Licensing Board will, however, consider the definition of a "track" and whether the applicant is permitted to avail themself of the notice.

Further information

Please use the 'contact us' box if you have any questions. For more information, see 'related pages'.

A to Z of services