Payment of invoices and debt recovery

An explanation of sundry debts and how to pay them

We issue miscellaneous invoices known as sundry debts for a variety of our services, such as:

  • commercial rents
  • pest control services
  • hire of leisure facilities
  • out of school care
  • housing property recharges
  • respite, residential and home care charges

In addition to the above, invoices are also raised when certain entitlements are overpaid, such as salaries or housing benefit.

Invoices are payable on receipt and information on how to pay is detailed on every invoice.

All our invoices are subject to recovery action if unpaid. This can be avoided by paying the invoice or discussing payment arrangements with a member of the debt recovery team. Contact details are on the right hand side of this page.

If you think an invoice is incorrect you should contact the department directly that issued it (contact details are shown on every invoice).

Recovery of unpaid invoices

Failure to pay the invoice by the due date will result in further action being taken to recover the balance outstanding. A reminder will be issued for the outstanding balance and if you do not make payment in accordance with this demand a final notice will be issued. Further recovery action can be taken in the form of your account being passed to our legal services and a decree obtained through the sheriff court. This gives us the authority to lodge a bank or earnings arrestment or to lodge a petition at the sheriff court for your sequestration or bankruptcy.

Should such action be taken your credit rating may also be affected and you may incur further charges.

Payment difficulties

We encourage payment in full but should you experience problems paying your invoice tell us immediately so that we can provide you with the assistance and advice on suitable instalment arrangements and other payment options. Contact details are on the right hand side of this page.

The debt recovery team may put you in touch with the our money advice and welfare rights advisors for additional independent and confidential advice.

Debt management

Financial Services is responsible for the billing, collection and recovery of the following taxes or charges:

  • council tax
  • housing benefits overpayment
  • residual community charge (poll tax)
  • sundry income for goods or services received from the council

The debt management and recovery team has a structured approach to manage the recovery of debts due to us and maximise the collection levels of debt under its responsibility.

Please use the 'contact us' box if you have any questions. For more information, see 'related pages', 'downloads' or 'other useful websites'.

A to Z of services