Work to trees

Consent for work to trees

You can apply online for consent to do work to trees.. You may also require a felling licence from the Forestry Commission Scotland. In addition, if you need to carry out work to trees within the garden of a council house, you should check with the local Housing Service First Stop Shop.

Our consent will be required for works to:

  • trees protected by Tree Preservation Orders (TPO)
  • trees within Conservation Areas 
  • trees protected by conditions of a planning permission

By 'works' we mean:

  • cutting of branches
  • crown thinning
  • crown raising or crown reduction
  • tree felling and tree uprooting

Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) are a method of protecting individual trees, groups of trees or larger areas of woodlands whose removal would have an adverse impact on the amenity of an area. They represent a legal control permanently attached to the title of the land where the trees are located.

You can find out if a tree is protected by a TPO using our on-line map and simply entering your postcode. 

Recently Promoted Tree Preservation Orders

Recently Confirmed Tree Preservation Orders not shown on the map are:

If consent is not sought for trees subject to legal protection, you may be deemed to be committing an offence. Fines of up to £20,000 can be imposed for the offence. Alternatively, the offender may be required to pay for a replacement tree of similar size and species to be planted in the same location.

Trees on council land

If a tree is on land we own and you think a tree requires to be maintained, or consider them to be dangerous, you should contact northline environmental and they will forward your query to the appropriate officer to investigate.

Emergency Works to Protected Trees

If a tree is protected, but you urgently require to carry out work for safety reasons, you are generally allowed to carry out sufficient work to remove the immediate threat provided written notice of the proposed works is given to us as soon as emergency tree works are considered necessary. If work is immediately required, you may carry it out provided you provide the following evidence:

  • Photographs indicating the tree's condition
  • Report from a qualified tree surgeon stating why the works are necessary
  • Independent witness statements (eg. affidavits) confirming that the tree is dangerous

If you consider that a tree or group of trees are of amenity value and require the protection of a TPO you can contact us direct. For more information, please see our pdf icon guidance on trees and development. [698kb]

Please contact us if you have any questions.

A to Z of services