Cumbernauld House Park

Cumbernauld House Park is the largest town park in North Lanarkshire

Image of Cumbernauld House Park

Location and access

Cumbernauld House Park is located to the north of Kildrum. It is accessible by footpaths from Kildrum, Abronhill and the Village. The bus stop in Kildrum Road near Meadow view is two minutes walk away. Cars can enter from the A8011 southbound carriageway just passed the Village.

The park surrounds Cumbernauld House and adjoins Cumbernauld Glen wildlife reserve.

Please use the map below to locate the park.


This 19 Hectare park is mainly conserved to its informal original layout with sloping and flat areas of grassland with footpaths around the perimeter. It hosts a number of ancient specimen trees. Spectacular views as far as the Campsie fells and the Ochil hills can be seen from the top end of the park.


The park was originally the grounds of Cumbernauld House which was built in 1731. The House occupies the site of the former Cumbernauld Castle, which was destroyed in 1651 by Cromwell's General, George Monck. Mary queen of Scots visited the castle in 1561 and it is thought that she may have planted some trees in the park that are still there today.


Being adjoined to a wildlife reserve, the park is a natural haven for an abundance of wildlife.

The many bio-diversity areas throughout the park further encourage the presence of wildlife. Squirrels, bats, rabbits and roe deer as well as a wide range of bird species are regularly seen.


Cumbernauld House Park is set within beautiful natural surroundings away from roads and buildings. It is ideal recreational area for families, dog walkers, and sporting activities.


There is a annual cross country event held within the park at the end of October.

Occasional family fun days are organised during the summer.

Volunteers periodically carry out planting of wildflowers, trees and bulbs.

The park has potential to hold other events and activities if required.

A to Z of services