We’re carrying out essential maintenance to our website between 2 and 4 pm today. Some of our online forms may be unavailable during this time.
Details of closures and changes to council services over the festive holidays.
Council offices will be closed to the public from Monday 26 December 2022 until Wednesday 4 January 2023.
There are some exceptions, and details are shown below.
First Stop Shops
All First Stop Shops will be closed from Monday 26 December 2022 until Wednesday 4 January 2023.
Registration staff will be available on the following dates and telephone numbers to register deaths remotely (no face-to-face appointments will be taken):
- The Cumbernauld Registration Office will be available on Wednesday 28 December from 9am until 4pm on 01236 632740.
- The Motherwell Registration Office will be available on Thursday 29 December from 9am until 4pm on 01698 302206.
- The Airdrie Registration Office will be available on Friday 30 December from 9am until 4pm on 01236 758080.
Please note that due to statutory timescales only death registrations are being carried out.
For emergency registrations please contact the Registration Service out-of-hours number on 07985 330371.
Due to public holidays, there will be no waste collections on:
- Sunday 25 and Monday 26 December 2022
- Sunday 1 January and Monday 2 January 2023
If your kerbside waste and recycling collections are scheduled to take place on those dates then please see the table below for information on when you should present your bin for uplift:
|Scheduled collection date||When to present your bin|
|Sunday 25 December||Saturday 24 December|
|Monday 26 December||Tuesday 27 December|
|Sunday 1 January||Saturday 31 December|
|Monday 2 January||Tuesday 3 January|
Please present your bin by 7am on the morning of collection and remember that it may be collected at a different time from usual.
There will be no food/garden collections between Saturday 24 December 2022 and Friday 6 January 2023. Please do not present your brown bin for collection during this period; wait until your first scheduled collection after 6 January.
There will be no special uplift service between Saturday 24 December 2022 and Friday 6 January 2023.
Real Christmas trees (with all decorations removed) will be collected free of charge on the 9, 16 and 23 January 2023. You must book this in advance on 0345 1430015 as there are limited numbers of uplifts each day and they will be issued on a first come first served basis.
All Household Waste Recycling Centres sites will close at the earlier time of 2pm on 24 December and 31 December. Last entry on these days will be 1:50pm. Sites will be closed on Sunday 25 December 2022 and Sunday 1 January 2023.
Our sites are always very busy at this time of year especially at peak times of between 10am and 2pm, so please be aware that traffic management will be in place.
Social work services
Social Work locality offices can be contacted from 8.45am to 4.45pm on 28 and 29 December and from 8.45am to 4.15pm on 30 December on:
- Airdrie - 01236 757000
- Bellshill - 01698 346666
- Coatbridge - 01236 622100
- Cumbernauld - 01236 638700
- Motherwell - 01698 332100
- Wishaw - 01698 348200
- Restorative Justice - 01698 524940
- Justice HQ Wishaw - 01698 403984
From 24 to 28 December 2022 and 31 December 2022 to 4 January 2023, contact the Social Work Emergency Service (SWES) on 0800 121 4114 or Home Support on 0300 555 0408.
Our other emergency contact numbers are:
- Social Work Emergency Service - 0800 121 4114
- Scottish Welfare Fund (Crisis Grants & Community Care Grants) Customers can apply online or email SWF@northlan.gov.uk with any queries
- Gas/solid fuel heating repairs - 0800 678 1166 (and choose the option for gas central heating) or 0330 202 0444
- Homelessness (operating 24/7 from close of business on 24 December 2021 to 8.45am on 5 January 2022) - 0800 953 2424
- Anti-social behaviour (operating normal 24/7 service every day) - 0300 123 1382
Other useful contact numbers
- Housing Repairs (24/7) - 0800 678 1166
- Telephone payments (24/7) - 01698 403130
On the 25 and 26 December 2022 and 1 and 2 January 2023, all our venues will be closed. Outwith these dates, individual venue opening times will vary.
North Lanarkshire Libraries will be closed on Monday 26 December and Tuesday 27 December as well as Monday 2 January and Tuesday 3 January over the festive period, apart from Chryston Library, which will close on Wednesday 21 December 2022 at 5pm and reopen on Monday 9 January 2023. Library branches that open on a Saturday will close at 4pm on 24 and 31 December 2022.
For full details of library opening times, visit our culture webpages.
Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life
Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life will be closed on Sunday 25 to Tuesday 27 December. It will reopen on Wednesday 28 December. It will also be closed on Sunday 1 January to Tuesday 3 January 2023. It will reopen on Wednesday 4 January.
North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre
North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre will be closed from Sunday 25 December 2022 to Tuesday 3 January 2023. The centre will reopen on Wednesday 4 January.
Motherwell Concert Hall & Theatre
- Friday 23 December - 9.00am to 4.00pm
- Saturday 24 – Tuesday 27 December – closed
- Wednesday 28 – Friday 30 December – 9.00am to 2.00pm
- Saturday 31 December – Tuesday 3 January - closed
- Wednesday 4 – Friday 6 January – 9.00am to 4.45pm
The ticket desk in the theatre foyer is open 30 minutes prior to each performance. In addition, the team will be available to deal with enquiries on Tuesday 27 December, 1.30pm to 6.00pm and Monday 2 January, 1.30pm to 6.00pm.
If you require any assistance, please leave a voicemail on 01698 274545 and a member of the team will contact you as soon as possible.