Skip to main content

Child Winter Heating Payment

What is it?

Child Winter Heating Payment used to be called Child Winter Heating Assistance.

Child Winter Heating Payment is a benefit from the Scottish Government. It was first paid in 2020.

It’s a payment to help disabled children and young people and their families with increased heating costs over winter.  

It’s paid once a year.

The payment for winter 2023-2024 is £235.70.

Payments for winter 2023-2024 began in November 2023.

If there is more than one child or young person who qualifies in the household, they each get a payment.

The payment for next winter , winter 2024-25 will be £251.50 and will be paid from November 2024.

Who can get it?

Children and young people in Scotland can get the payment if they're under 19 years old and get one of the following 'qualifying benefits':

  • the highest rate of the care component of Child Disability Payment
  • the highest rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance for children
  • the enhanced daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • the enhanced rate of the daily living component of Adult Disability Payment 

They must be getting this rate of benefit on at least one day in the third full week of September.  This includes if a qualifying benefit is backdated to this period. 

For 2023 this will be Monday 18 September to Sunday 24 September.

How do I apply?

Eligible children and young people living in Scotland do not need to apply. The payment will be made automatically, and it will usually be paid into the same bank account as their qualifying disability payment. A letter will be sent from Social Security Scotland before they make the payment.

If you think a child or young person should have received this payment and they have not you can contact Social Security Scotland on 0800 182 2222 or through webchat.

Page last updated:
25 Apr 2024

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback