Skip to main content

Tax credits

Both Child tax and working tax credits have been replaced by Universal Credit for most people.

You can only make a new claim if you get the severe disability premium (SDP) within an income based benefit or got it within the past month and still qualify for it. This is known as the SDP gateway.

If you are still able to claim child tax credits you can claim up until 31 August after their 16th birthday. You can claim until their 20th birthday, if the child is in approved education or training.

If you are still able to claim working tax credits the qualifying rules and how much you will be paid depends on the hours of paid work you do each week. It also depends on your income and circumstances.

If you are currently in receipt of working tax credits and/or child tax credits you will be migrated over to Universal Credit at some point in the near future. You will be sent a Managed Migration Notice in the post from the DWP and invited to make a claim.

Call the tax credit helpline on 0345 300 3900 for any queries relating to your current award of tax credits. 

Contact the Managed Migration helpline on 0800 169 0328 if you have queries and have received your Migration Notice or find out more on the UK Government website.


Page last updated:
25 Apr 2024

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback