- Preparation: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour
- Serves 8, costs approx £10 (approx. £1.25 per portion)
- 1kg minced beef
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups frozen peas (petit pois)
- 3-4 carrots (chopped)
- 600ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the mash
- 1 kg floury potatoes (e.g. Maris Piper of King Edwards)
- 50g knob of butter
- 50ml splash of milk
- Salt and pepper
Allergy disclaimer: Always check the label of each ingredient for allergen information.
- Cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water for 15-20 minutes. Drain and mash with butter and hot milk.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions until soft, add the mince and fry until browned.
- Add the carrots, tomato puree and let mix cook for another 2-3 minutes over a high heat.
- Pour in the stock and stir through. Cover and simmer gently for approx 40 minutes.
- Add the peas and mixed herbs to the sauce, season then pour into an oven dish.
- Once the meat has cooled, spread the mashed potato on top.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees (fan 180, 400F, Gas 6) and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the potato is golden and bubbling.
Freeze some in portions for another day, just defrost in the fridge overnight before reheating.