- Preparation: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Serves 8, costs approx £10 (approx. £1.25 per portion)
- 1 kg minced beef
- 1 large onion
- 3-4 carrots
- 1 beef stock cube (made with 600ml boiling water)
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 10-12 potatoes (approx 1 kg)
Allergy disclaimer: Always check the label of each ingredient for allergen information.
- Peel and slice the onion, carrots and potatoes.
- Fry the onion and carrots in the oil for approx 5 mins or until softened.
- Increase the heat and add the minced beef to the pan, fry until is it browned (approx 10 mins).
- Reduce heat and sprinkle flour over the meat and vegetables and stir for another couple of minutes to cook the flour.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the water then add the stock. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until everything is tender, add more stock if needed.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling water for 20-25 minutes until soft. Drain and mash with butter and hot milk.
Option to freeze only the minced beef in portions (and cook fresh potatoes) or freeze minced beef and potatoes side by side in suitable container.