- Preparation: 5-10 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Serves 6, costs approx £2.50 (42p per portion)
- Cooked shredded chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek
- 3 large carrots
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- Approx ½ cup rice
- Freshly chopped parsley (optional)
Allergy disclaimer: Always check the label of each ingredient for allergen information.
- Cook the vegetables. Chop and prepare your vegetables. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot, add the leek and carrots and cook for approx 5 mins.
- Add the stock. Add 2 pints of water and 2 chicken stock cubes to the pan.
- Simmer for approx 20 minutes then add the rice for a further 10 minutes.
- Season according to your taste
Freeze the remainder in individual portions for another time.
If you are making your own broth, simmer the chicken carcass in a pot for 45 minutes on a low heat with approx. two pints of boiling water then strain through a sieve. You can also make the broth in a slow cooker.