- Preparation: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 4 hours
- Serves 8, costs approx £3 (38p per portion)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 carrots, chopped into large chunks
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 300g frozen mixed peppers
- 2 tins tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 litres vegetable stock
- 100g pearl barley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Allergy disclaimer: Always check the label of each ingredient for allergen information.
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, mix well then cover and cook for 4 hours on high.
- When cooked, move most of the veg (except the potatoes) and pearl barley to a mixing bowl with a slotted spoon.
- With a hand blender, whizz up the potatoes and remaining veg to thicken the soup.
- Return the reserved veg and pearl barley to the soup.
- Season to taste.