Skip to main content

Food safety advice for businesses

Information and advice for anyone starting up a food business.

Starting a food business

We encourage anyone who intends to start a food business to contact our Environmental Health department as early as possible.

As well as providing practical advice on legal requirements, we have a wide variety of guidance materials available.

Normally, anyone opening a food business requires to register with their local authority at least 28 days before opening. 

Please contact us to request a food registration form.

If you are considering running a food business from your home you should find out if planning permission is required.

You should also notify Lanarkshire Valuation Joint Board.

It is also very important that anyone considering operating a food business has an appropriate level of food hygiene training. They must also provide any staff employed to work in their business with an appropriate level of training and/or supervision.

We also examine applications received for building warrant or planning consent where a food business is involved.

Running a food business

We also advise food businesses during routine inspections and in response to specific enquiries where, for instance, someone intends to alter their existing premises or change the type of food they intend to prepare.

Guidance material is also available from the Food Standards Scotland website.

UK hospitality has recently updated its 'Industry Guide to Good Hygiene Practice – Catering Guide'.

Alterations to your business

We encourage anyone proposing to carry out alterations to an existing food business, to contact our Environmental Health department as early as possible. We are also happy to engage with architects and agents on proposals, to offer practical advice on legal requirements relating to food safety or health and safety matters.

We don't charge for advice and assistance. This could save you expense, time delays and future difficulties.

Section 50 licensing certificates

If you intend to apply for a licence to sell alcohol on or from your premises you will need to apply for a section 50 certificate of suitability about food hygiene.

We can email or post an application form to you on request.

Page last updated:
07 Dec 2023

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback