Food businesses may wish to be considered for voluntary awards which recognise enhanced food safety and nutritional standards.
The Eat Safe Award
The Eat Safe Award makes it easy for consumers to know which restaurants, cafés, takeaways and food shops strive for exceptional food hygiene standards and go above and beyond the legal requirement.
The award is open to all types of food outlets, from casual cafés to 5-star restaurants.
Outlets are assessed by their local authority Environmental Health Officer or Food Safety Officer for the award during their regular food law inspections.
Please note - food hygiene now forms part of food law inspections undertaken by Environmental Health Officers and Food Safety Officers.
The Healthy Living Award
The conditions of the Healthy Living Award are based on the principles of a healthy balanced diet using healthier ingredients and preparation methods, including:
- Levels of fats and oils, particularly saturated fat, must be kept to a minimum.
- Levels of salt must be kept to a minimum.
- Levels of sugar must be kept to a minimum.
- Fruit and vegetables must be clearly available.
- Starchy foods must form the main part of most meals.
- Where appropriate, healthy and nutritious children's food should be provided.
- At least 50% of the food on the menu must meet the specific healthy living criteria, prepared using both healthier ingredients and cooking methods.
- Having a promotion and marketing strategy which works alongside the general principles of the healthy living award and supports healthier eating.