We enforce health and safety legislation in over 3,000 workplaces within North Lanarkshire.
We are the health and safety enforcing authority for workplaces such as offices, shops, catering establishments, warehouses, leisure facilities and hotels.
We use a number of intervention approaches to regulate and influence businesses in the management of health and safety risks including:
- provision of advice and guidance to individual businesses or groups
- proactive interventions including inspection
- reactive interventions, for example to investigate an accident or complaint
We may use enforcement powers, including formal enforcement notices, to address occupational health and safety risks and secure compliance with the law.
Where appropriate we will make reports to the Procurator Fiscal for possible prosecution.
Learn about a recent prosecution.
We work in partnership with the Health and Safety Executive, other local authorities and relevant organisations to promote health and safety in the workplace.
We can help by giving advice to businesses and employees. Free information and guidance leaflets are distributed during visits and on request.
Further information, including coronavirus advice for businesses is also available from:
- The Health and Safety Executive
- Healthy Working Lives or through their advice line on 0800 019 2211