Sweet pastry base
- Rub the soft butter, flour and caster sugar together until it has breadcrumb consistency.
- Knead it together until you have a ball. Wrap in cling film and rest in fridge for half an hour.
- Once chilled, roll it out to fit in a shallow baking tin, pricking the base with a fork and bake in the middle of the oven at 180°C for 15 to 20 minutes until light golden brown.
- Gently heat the granulated sugar, butter, golden syrup and condensed milk in a heavy bottom pot, stirring until melted and it comes to a gentle boil. Stir constantly until thick and colour changes from light to medium brown.
- Let the mixture cool slightly before pouring onto pastry base. Then pour the topping onto the base and once it’s cool, chill in the fridge until it sets.
Top tip: If you want to add melted chocolate as a final topping spread it on after the caramel and chill in the fridge till it sets.