Skip to main content

Claiming a Council Tax Reduction

Guidance for tenants and homeowners

Whether you are a council tenant, renting from a private landlord or own your home, there are two ways to claim:

  1. If you claim Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance or Pension Credit you can claim a Council Tax Reduction at the same time by completing the application form over the phone with your Jobcentre Plus or Pension Service advisor. They will forward your claim to us.
  2. If you are not claiming any of the above benefits you can access a Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction form online or you can obtain one from your local office/first stop shop.

If you are housebound or unable to visit us because of health reasons we can arrange a home visit.

If you are married and normally live with your partner or are unmarried but live with your partner as husband and wife you will normally be responsible for the same council tax bill. Only one claim should be made but signed by both of you.

Page last updated:
05 Nov 2020

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback