Skip to main content

Housing support

Homeless prevention, sustainability and promoting 'Housing Options'

We are committed to homeless prevention, sustainability and promoting housing options.

In order to achieve these objectives, we will work with you to:

  • help sustain current accommodation or stop living arrangements breaking down
  • ensure effective sign-up and settling in procedures
  • provide early, supportive intervention
  • promote independent living skills

We will give you information about the service we provide whilst you are in housing need.

It will also give you information on:

  • housing staff who will provide support
  • the support we will provide
  • what kind of repairs we carry out and what you can do to help maintain your home

If there is any information you can't find or you don't understand, please talk to a member of staff. They will be pleased to answer any of your questions.

What is housing support?

Housing support covers a range of activities. These are to help you manage on a day to day basis whilst you are living in your own home or in our temporary accommodation.

The following list isn't exhaustive but housing support can include things like:

  • General counselling and support including befriending, advising on food preparation,non-specialist counselling where this does not overlap with similar services.
  • Assisting with the security of the dwelling required because of the needs of the service user.
  • Assisting with the maintenance of the safety of the dwelling.
  • Advising and supervising service users on the use of the domestic equipment and appliances.
  • Assisting with arranging minor repairs to and servicing of service user's own domestic equipment and appliances.
  • Providing life skills training in maintaining the dwelling and curtilage in appropriate condition.
  • Assisting the service user to engage with individual, professional and other bodies with an interest in the welfare of the service user.
  • Arranging adaptations to enable the service user to cope with disability.
  • Advising or assisting the service user with personal budgeting or debt counselling.
  • Advising or assisting the service user in dealing with relationships and disputes with neighbours.
  • Advising or assisting the service user in dealing with benefit claims and other official correspondence relevant to sustaining occupancy of the dwelling.
  • Advising or assisting with the resettlement of the service user.
  • Advising or assisting the service user to enable him or her to move on to accommodation where less intense support is required.
  • Providing and maintaining emergency alarm and call systems in accommodation designed or adapted for and occupied by elderly, sick or disabled people.
  • Responding to emergency alarm calls, where such calls relate to any of the housing support services prescribed in other paragraphs of this Schedule. This is accommodation designed or adapted for and occupied by elderly, sick or disabled people.
  • Controlling access to individual users' own rooms and windows.

Who can get housing support?

Housing support is suitable for a variety of people. For example, you may want housing support if you:

  • have a learning disability
  • have a mental health issue
  • have a sensory impairment or physical disability
  • are a young person in their first tenancy
  • are a young single parent
  • are homeless or threatened with homelessness
  • are moving into a tenancy after being homeless
  • are at risk of becoming homeless
  • have drug or alcohol dependency issues

It doesn't matter where or who you live with in North Lanarkshire. For example, you can get housing support if you live alone or share your house with other people. You could be living in a flat, a house, a hostel or sheltered housing.

The service is voluntary and you can decide to stop using the service at any time.

How can I get housing support?

If you think that you would benefit from housing support you, or someone on your behalf, should contact your local housing office. A housing advisor will complete a short assessment to consider your personal needs and circumstances.

Your housing advisor will carry out an assessment If you are currently homeless/threatened with homelessness, living in temporary accommodation or have accepted a new tenancy.

Should you have housing support in place but you do not keep in contact with the housing service, you will be advised that your case may be closed.

Page last updated:
25 Apr 2022

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time, please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve.

Thank you for your feedback