Skip to main content

Specialist and older persons housing

Specialist housing is a term used to describe housing that has been designed to support people with particular needs.

It can refer to housing that has been purpose-designed, adapted or designated for a particular group to help tenants to live independently. This may include people with:

  • physical disabilities
  • learning difficulties
  • mental health issues

It is sometimes referred to as Supported Housing.

Specialist Housing can also refer to housing designated to meet the needs of older people. This is characterised as housing that includes special design features or access to support to assist tenants to live independently for as long as possible in their own home.

These are the types of specialist older persons housing or housing for people with particular needs that we provide in North Lanarkshire:

  • retirement housing
  • amenity housing for older people
  • amenity general housing

Retirement housing

This is housing specifically built and designated for older people that provides an enhanced housing management service and an emergency response service. It consists of terraced bungalows, or in some instances flatted accommodation with lift access. There is access to common area facilities where a range of social opportunities can take place.

It is suitable for older people who:

  • can live independently
  • be isolated where they currently live and
  • would benefit from living in housing specifically designated for people aged 60 or over.

Amenity housing for older people

This is housing that has specifically been designated for older people, which consists of flatted or terraced type accommodation normally grouped together. There is no on-site housing or enhanced housing management services provided. It is suitable for older people who need minimal support and who would benefit from living in housing specifically designated for people aged 60 or over.

Amenity general housing

These are flats or houses that have been designed to meet the needs of people with particular needs, such as elderly people or people with disabilities.

These properties are different from mainstream housing in that they are normally designed with special modifications or specifications to meet the needs of people with particular needs.

This can include:

  • level access
  • extra handrails
  • internal features, such as lower light switches, higher outlet power sockets, special bathroom or kitchen features

On-site support isn't provided.

Applying for specialist and older persons housing

You will need to complete a housing application form and let us know you want to be considered for specialist or older persons housing. Please contact one of our local housing offices if you would like a form posted out to you. They will also be able to answer any questions you may have about the process.

Page last updated:
15 Nov 2021

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback