Welfare rights services

Assisting people with benefit matters

Due to the demand for advice, information and representation on all aspects of the benefit system, we have a number of welfare rights staff who provide a wide range of services to North Lanarkshire residents. These services include:

  • general benefits advice
  • advice and representation for benefit appeals 
  • redundancy advice 
  • help with housing benefit
  • help with council tax problems
  • training
  • talks and briefings

We offer an advice and representation service in the above categories and others, through the social work locality teams.

Our welfare rights service is free to individuals.

Whether the service you require is advice or information, or if it is representation or advocacy, we will try to meet your requirements.

In order to provide you with the best service possible, it is important that you give us as much notice as possible. For an appeal, you should contact social work as soon as you are able to do so.

What should you do?


If you are an individual who needs assistance, you should contact your local social work locality office in the first instance. Alternatively, please contact the Financial Inclusion Team.

If your enquiry is more complex, or in relation to an appeal, it may be sent on to a member of our Welfare Rights Team.


If you are calling on behalf of an organisation or corporate body, you should contact contact the Financial Inclusion Team who will be able to advise you on what they can make available to help you. This could be immediate verbal advice and information, organising an information briefing, training, advocacy or representation. If we cannot offer assistance in a particular situation, we will try to direct you to an appropriate body who can assist.

How can we help you with representation?


We can offer advice, representation and advocacy in a number of specialised fields, including:  

  • disability living allowance
  • attendance allowance
  • tax credits
  • incapacity benefit or employment support allowance
  • income support
  • jobseekers' allowance
  • carers' allowance
  • child benefit
  • universal credit

We can also give specialised advice and information in relation to redundancy and other industrial matters.

Please use the 'contact us' box if you have any questions. For more information, see 'related pages', 'downloads' or 'other useful websites'.

A to Z of services