North and South Lanarkshire Councils will host a public firework display at Strathclyde Country Park on Sunday 5 November at 6.30pm.
From 4.30pm to 8.00pm The Big Feed will run food outlets at the Watersports Centre concourse and the foreshore car park, and music will be playing around the centre. A bonfire will be lit at 5.30pm.
- Tony's Ice Cream
- Hector & Harriet Coffee & Churros
- Bangin' Pizza
- ROST Eats
- Mam's Thai Kitchen
- Tony's Coffee & Donuts
- The Toastie Box
- Papa's Loaded Fries
- Smokin' Delights
The firework display can be seen from locations around the park. Solar lights line the edges of some of paths around the park to guide visitors.
There will be no funfair at the Watersports Centre.
M&D’s Scotland’s Theme Park, which includes Cosmic Bowl 10-Pin Bowling, Amazonia, a temperature controlled tropical house, Devil’s Island Adventure Golf and Game Zone, will be open from 10am until 10pm, alongside Monterey Jack’s American-themed diner and the Alona Hotel. Visitors to the fireworks display can also take advantage of a discounted wristband for £12.95 between 2pm and 9pm, which can be booked online at www.scotlandsthemepark.co.uk.
The event is expected to be very busy and there is limited parking within the park, so the advice is:
- arrive early and enjoy the food and music
- travel to the park by public transport, or
- park further from the park and walk.
Parking is available in Hamilton at Hamilton Palace Sports Grounds and Low Parks Museum, South Lanarkshire Council's overflow car park at the rear of Aldi, Keith Street and High Patrick Street. The usual restrictions and fees will be lifted in these car parks for the evening.
Vehicle access to the park from Hamilton Road will close at 5.30pm. The entrance at the Raith Interchange will remain open.
The tunnel from Hamilton into the park will be open until 6.30pm. From then, it will only be open for people exiting the park.
Please note: The beach car park will be closed.
Disabled parking spaces are available in the main car park, beside the Watersports Centre, and is bookable on a first come, first served basis. Call 01698 402060 to book.
Police Scotland will manage traffic entering and leaving the event.
At the main entrance to the park, there will be no right turn from Hamilton Road South, and no straight on or right turn from Airbles Road. Traffic coming from these directions will be directed towards Hamilton, round the roundabout and back to turn left into the park.
Road closures will be in place on:
- Airbles Road offside lane from the junction with Hamilton Road, southeast for 40m
- Braedale Avenue from the junction with Hamilton Road, northeast for 20m
- Bothwellhaugh Road, Bellshill from the junction with McCallum Gardens, southeast then southwest for 700m.
No waiting or loading restrictions will be in place from 12 noon to midnight on the day at:
- Hamilton Road, from the Clyde Bridge to Tinkers Lane
- Airbles Road, from Hamilton Road to Tinkers Lane
- west side of Tinkers Lane
- west side of Greenacres
- east side of Airbles Farm Road
- east side of The Loaning, from Hamilton Road to Ladywell Road
- south side of Ladywell Road, from The Loaning east for 30m
- north side of Ladywell Road, from The Loaning to the end of the road
- north side of Paragon Drive, from Tinkers Lane to Eagles Crescent.
Parking attendants will be in operation in the streets around the park to enforce these restrictions.
Pedestrian access will be allowed at all times.
Glow in the dark wristbands are available for children to wear at the event to help in reuniting parents and children if they become separated. These will be available to collect from Thursday 26 October from the Civic Centre, Strathclyde Country Park reception and Motherwell Library, and on the day from Strathclyde Country Park reception and event stewards.
Public toilets are available at the Watersports Centre concourse, the footbridge car park and M&D’s.
- Do not bring your own fireworks or sparklers into the park.
- Do not bring pets to the event.
- There will be no admission to anyone under the influence or alcohol or drugs.
- Drones must not be used anywhere in the park during the event.
- Place litter in public bins or take it home.