We will only use your personal information when it is lawful to do so.
We will use your personal information to comply with our legal responsibilities under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 and Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005. This includes:
- providing services related to licensing and regulatory activities, planning and building, trading standards, food safety and pollution control
We may also use your personal information:
- to protect the public against dishonesty, malpractice or other seriously improper conduct
- to prevent fraud (including data matching under local and national fraud initiatives)
Basis of processing
Most commonly, we will use your personal information on the following basis:
- where necessary to perform a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in us
- where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation
We will use special categories of more sensitive information and information about criminal convictions on the following basis:
- for statutory purposes which are of substantial public interest, namely under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 and Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.
We may process your personal information for more than one lawful ground depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your data.
Change of purpose
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose.
If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal information without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.