The new road has created access for new housing and a business park.
What did the project do?
This project delivered new road infrastructure encourage many new houses and facilities in the Gartcosh and Glenbog area.
It also supports business development at the Gartcosh Business Park.
The Community Growth Area
The Gartcosh and Glenboig Community Growth Area forms part of a 20 year strategy for the development of over 3,000 homes. There will also be new and improved community facilities.
The development is next to the new Seven Lochs Wetland Park which is destined to become Scotland’s largest urban nature park.
Glenboig Link Road
The planning application was approved in March 2016.
You can view plans and access other information on this by using reference 14/02445/FUL on our online planning system.
Glenboig link road opened in June 2018
This £2.6 million project created a new road that enables drivers to access junction 2A of the M73 directly from Glenboig by passing through the business park.
New roundabouts were also created at Glenboig Road and at the end of Auldyards Road.
The project has also delivered:
- landscaping, new ponds and work to restore areas of the existing nature reserve on either side of the new road
- Auldyards Road within Gartcosh Business Park has been improved and provides a link between the new road and the motorway
- extended areas have been created to Gartcosh Local Nature Reserve
- cycling and walking paths have been provided either side of the road
- a replacement feature to the business park
To evaluate the success of the project, we will regularly be monitoring the benefits resulting from the new road.
This project has delivered the following community benefits in line with the City Deal strategy:
- a meet the buyer event
- engagement with the local schools
- training and work placement initiatives
- support for community projects
- 16 June 2017 - Work starts on £2.6 million link road - Project opens up development around Glenboig.
- 2 Dec 2016 - Construction starts on new road - First phase of Glenboig link road.
- 7 June 2016 - Link road gets go ahead from City Deal - Key project for Gartcosh and Glenboig.
- 9 April 2019 - Glasgow City Region Chief Executive Group approve a new and enhanced Full Business Case or the Glenboig Link Road.
- 12 December 2016 - Glasgow City Region Cabinet approve Full Business Case for the Glenboig Link Road.
- 7 June 2016 - Glasgow City Region Cabinet approve Outline Business Case for the Glenboig Link Road.
- 18 August 2015 - Glasgow City Region Cabinet approve the Strategic Business Case for Gartcosh/Glenboig Community Growth Area.