Skip to main content

Community Action to Reduce Energy Spend

Community Action to Reduce Energy Spend (CARES) is a project that helps people experiencing problems with utility services to make better decisions, control their budgets and avoid fuel poverty.

We work with the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) to deliver the project throughout North Lanarkshire. The CAB has a successful track record of supporting vulnerable people facing financial hardship.

CARES helps reduce fuel poverty by making energy consumers aware of energy issues. This is achieved by delivering one-to-one, individually tailored sessions (for housebound) and 'energy' group sessions to frontline staff and community groups.

These sessions will cover the following topics:

  • understanding energy bills
  • checking energy tariffs
  • understanding energy metering
  • monitoring energy usage
  • switching energy providers
  • energy savings tips
  • fuel debt and remedies
  • accessing emergency credit for those at threat of self-disconnection
  • referral to Home Energy Scotland

We help and empower people to deal with their energy bills more effectively, while helping those in fuel debt to negotiate with suppliers and offer help with applications for individual grants, where appropriate. We can identify other issues or problems and ensure a smooth referral to the appropriate service, within or outwith the Citizens Advice Bureau.

The CAB has been delivering energy advice to the residents of North Lanarkshire for many years and during this time have developed excellent relationships with energy companies ensuring we are kept up to date with developments within the energy sector.

If you would like to refer an individual or are interested in a group session please contact:

Citizens Advice Bureau
call: 01236 754109

Page last updated:
24 Nov 2021

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback