Skip to main content

Smoke and heat alarms

Every home in Scotland must have interlinked fire alarms by February 2022.

Interlinked means if one goes off, they all go off, so you will always hear an alarm wherever you are in your home.

The new law has come about because of the Grenfell fire in London in 2017, and it applies to all Scottish homes.

It is the property owner’s responsibility for meeting the new standard.

For more information, please read the Scottish Government factsheet.

Council tenants

Detector installations are being progressed in all council houses. We have currently installed interlinked smoke and heat alarms in 92% of our tenants’ homes, leaving only 8% of homes still awaiting an installation.

Any outstanding properties that have not had detectors installed is the result of not being able to gain access for various reasons or because they are part of a larger programme of work that is currently underway.

All these remaining tenants have been contacted and we are hoping to schedule the remainder of the works over the coming weeks. If you haven’t had your detectors installed we will be in contact to arrange another appointment soon.

Private tenants

If you are a private tenant, your landlord is responsible.


The Scottish Government has provided information on what you need to do, what types of alarms you need, the cost of alarms, and safety standards you should be looking for before you purchase. For more information, please read the Scottish Government factsheet.

Smoke and fire alarms for deaf and deafblind

People who are deaf or deafblind may need a specialist fire and smoke alarm. For advice, contact Scottish Fire and Rescue Service on 0141 646 4500, or use their enquiry form

Help with costs for homeowners

Older and disabled homeowners on low incomes may get help with costs. The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service can install alarms in the homes of people assessed to be at high risk from fire as part of a home fire safety visit.

For advice on fire safety, or to check if you are eligible for a home fire safety visit, contact the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 0731 999 or text Fire to 80800 from a mobile phone.

Page last updated:
23 May 2024

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback