We introduced this scheme to buy back privately owned properties, some of which may have been previously purchased through the Right to Buy.
There is a huge demand for affordable housing and it is vital we look at different ways of increasing the supply of homes to help meet this need.
We have set out ambitious plans to improve and expand our housing stock in North Lanarkshire and in addition to our new build programme, the open market purchase scheme allows us to buy homes in areas where there is demand for that type and size of property.
Over £12m has been invested in acquisitions and repairs to deliver more homes for local people to live in and to provide additional housing stock in sought after areas.
The scheme also allows us to progress plans for our tower re-provisioning programme by letting us purchase a number of private homes in existing towers blocks earmarked for demolition.
Through the open market purchase scheme, we can also remove homes which have been lying empty or derelict for a considerable period of time and bring them back into proper use. It also helps us progress with common refurbishment works within mixed tenure blocks of flats for the benefit of our tenants.
How it works
This scheme enables the purchase of properties that are for sale on the open market or are about to go on the open market, some of which are often former council houses purchased through the Right to Buy.
The main criteria set against the purchase of homes on the open market would be:
- There is demand for the type and size of property in that area.
- The combined cost of buying the property and bringing it up to letting standards would represent value for money to the council.
- Where the purchase of a property will enable the council to take complete, or majority, ownership of blocks of flats making communal repairs much easier to complete.
- Homes purchased would meet the particular needs of households not currently available in the council stock, for example homes suitable for people with disabilities.
- The property must be sold with vacant possession and be empty at the time of completion.
- The seller must have made their own arrangments for re-housing.
- We cannot accept properties where a tenant would have to leave the property to enable a sale.
How to apply
Please complete the Open Market Purchase Scheme application form. The information you provide us with in this form will be used to assess your application and we will then contact you to let you know if your property meets the criteria.
Completed application forms should be returned to us by email.
If you are unable to email your completed form please contact the New Supply Team.