Service updates and advice
Schools represent the biggest investment in infrastructure across North Lanarkshire. They are also at the heart of towns and communities.
Town hub community engagement events
We are starting public engagement with our communities about the potential locations of town hubs - please use the links below to sign up:
- Kilsyth – Monday 8th March – 6:30pm
- Cumbernauld – Tuesday 9th March - 6:30pm
- Airdrie – Wednesday 10th March – 6:30pm
- Coatbridge – Thursday 11th March – 6:30pm
- Bellshill - Monday 15th March – 6:30pm
- Motherwell - Tuesday 16th March – 6:30pm
- Wishaw – Wednesday 17th March – 6:30pm
- Shotts – Thursday 18th March – 6:30pm
Given the ambition to replace every school not replaced or remodelled since 1996, our vision is to make these places for the whole community rather than only the school community.
To do this, hubs will be places where education is delivered alongside other council and community services.
Hubs will have a form and facilities based on the needs of the local community.
We envisage three types of hub:
- Town hubs are likely to include primary and secondary education and an early years' facility. Other services on offer will be larger in scale, such as more comprehensive sport, culture and leisure facilities and a wider range of council and partner services.
- Community hubs are likely to include at least one learning establishment and may include other zones such as sport and leisure.
- Small community hubs may exist in areas where there is no requirement for new education facilities but where there is a need to replace older facilities like libraries, community centres and health centres.
We anticipate that the following town hubs could be considered in phase one:
Airdrie: St Margaret's High School and associated primary schools.
Bellshill: Cardinal Newman High School and Bellshill Academy along with a large proportion of their associated primary schools.
Coatbridge: all secondary schools have been built since 1996. Existing facilities will be examined to understand what additional facilities and services could be incorporated.
Cumbernauld: Both Our Lady’s High School and St Maurice’s High School will be included in the modernisation programme.
Either school could be considered for inclusion within the town hub, depending on the location chosen. (There are no plans to merge the high schools).
Kilsyth: Kilsyth Academy and associated primary schools.
Motherwell: All secondary schools along with a large number of associated primary schools
Shotts: Calderhead High School is relatively new. Facilities would be examined to understand what additional services could be incorporated to enhance the offering to local people.
Wishaw: St Aidan's High School and associated primary schools.