Psychology making a difference: improving life chances for all children in North Lanarkshire
We work to improve life chances for all children in North Lanarkshire.
We apply psychological knowledge, evidenced-based practice and research to improve outcomes for children, young people and their families. We work at all times in the best interests of children and young people, placing their needs at the centre of our core practice.
Our core values guide our work within education and families:
We will use our knowledge of applied psychology and child development to:
- use strength-based supports to build effective relationships
- acknowledge peoples' strengths and their capacity to change
- support positive change for children in schools, at home and in the community
- enhance relationships in all aspects of children's lives
- strive for excellence through the use of evidence-based practice and robust self-evaluation
What we do and our work
We work in partnership with our colleagues in Education and Families, with parents/carers and with health professionals to support the inclusion of children and young people in their local schools and communities. We deliver on the national priority of Closing the Poverty Related Attainment Gap. Getting It Right For Every Child is at the core of how we improve health and wellbeing and attainment for all.
Our priorities are:
- raising achievement and attainment for all
- ensuring every child has the same opportunity to succeed
- improving children's health and wellbeing
- improving life outcomes including positive school leaver destinations, and skills for work and life in the community
Educational psychologists have five core functions: assessment, intervention, consultation, training and research.
Our service also has a statutory duty to assist the local authority to fulfil their duties in meeting the additional support needs and to provide advice under the terms of the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968.
All our psychologists are regulated by the Health Care Professions Council (HCPC) and operate within its ethical and professional frameworks.
North Lanarkshire Psychological Service
Queen Victoria Street
- Airdrie, Bellshill or Coatbridge: 01236 856200
- Cumbernauld, Chryston, Stepps or Kilsyth: 01236 856200
- Motherwell, Shotts, Salsburgh or Wishaw: 01698 332850