Skip to main content

Our schools have lots of advice available to make your child's move to a new school as straightforward as possible.

Your child's electronic records should move with them to their new school and the school should be aware that the are receiving a service child.

Education guidance

In Scotland children are grouped by birth date from 1 March - 29 February for year placements. This may result in your child going into a different year group from the one they are leaving. If you have any concerns your should contact the school directly.

The Forces Children's Education website explains how the Scottish system works and provides links to schools that support military bases in Scotland. If moving to Lanarkshire after leaving the service or as a veteran, you'll need a civilian address to apply for a school place.

Bring information on your child's learning from their previous school and tell the new school of your status in the Armed Forces (regular, reserve, veteran) so they can help your child settle in.

Page last updated:
22 Feb 2023

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback