Latest service updates, advice for businesses, health information and support for parents
The core function of our registration offices is to provide the following statutory services on behalf of the Registrar General for Scotland:
- the registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages
- the performance of Civil marriages/Civil Partnerships
- the provision of advice and guidance on registration matters
We also offer Renewal Ceremonies and Naming Ceremonies.
In addition, on behalf of the Education Authority we administer the Employment of Children byelaws.
|Joint Working Arrangements|
|Association of Registrars||Meet three times each year to discuss current and future issues impacting on registration.|
|Tell Us Once||When someone has died we can help you tell the people who need to know. There are lots of things that need to be done, at a time when you probably least feel like doing them. One of these is contacting the government departments and local council services that need to be told. We provide a service which will make things easier. This service means that you can just tell us and these organisations will be contacted.|
|National Records of Scotland||We work with the National Records of Scotland to ensure all Registration legislation is implemented. We participate in working groups established by the Registrar General to discuss and plan for implementation for new legislation.|
|Home Office||We liaise with the Home Office to ensure all necessary arrangements are in place for Citizenship Ceremonies.|
|Hospitals||We liaise with NHS Doctors to minimise errors on death certificates. We supply local hospitals with envelopes containing information on how to register a death in Scotland.|
|Hotels||We liaise with hotel managers and staff to ensure arrangements are in place for conduct of ceremonies in approved places.|
|Police Scotland||We ensure local Police Stations have contact telephone numbers for emergency registrations|
|Registration Networking Group||We meet quarterly with representatives of Registration services throughout Scotland to share best practice and participate in benchmarking exercises.|
|Undertakers||We ensure local undertakers have telephone numbers for emergency registrations.|
Our registration service operates an appointment based system. To make an appointment at any of our offices please use the contact numbers below.
- Airdrie - 01236 758080
- Cumbernauld - 01236 632740
- Motherwell - 01698 302206
- Out of Hours/Emergency - 07985330371
Exceptions to the normal hours of business are public holidays and emergency arrangements.
- explain clearly the services we provide
- set high standards for our work
- tell you what the standards are and how we perform against the standards
- ensure the information you give to us will be treated in the strictest confidence. You can be assured that it will not be passed to anyone who is not entitled by law to receive it
- aim to treat you the way we like to be treated - fairly and sensitively
- interview you in private when registering Births; Deaths and Marriages
- on request, explain clearly the legal requirements pertaining to the registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
- aim to answer all telephone calls within 6 rings.
- aim to respond to all correspondence on the day we receive it
- will see you as soon as possible when you arrive at a Registration Office. We aim to ensure that you will wait no longer than 10 minutes. If you are kept waiting we will explain the reason for the delay
- aim to produce Certificates on the same working day. We will produce Certificates of Births, Deaths and Marriages within 2 working days, provided all documentation is in order and fees are paid
- will clearly state our fees, and there will be no hidden charges
- will listen when you tell us about problems and
- will put issues under our control right quickly