Skip to main content

Money advice for homeless people

Your financial responsibilities

There are organisations who will provide you with free and impartial advice about:

  • state benefits
  • housing benefit
  • debt problems
  • rent arrears

State benefits

If you claim or want to claim state benefits you should go to your local Department for Work and Pensions office (previously called social security office or benefits agency).

If you are not sure what to do a welfare rights advisor will be able to help you. Contact your local housing office or your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Housing benefit

When you are homeless housing benefit can play a major part in helping you to improve your situation.

All social landlords and most private landlords accept housing benefit so it is important to get good advice about applying.

There are rules and regulations that can help you. However, they are complicated and not a lot of people know about them.

If you are not sure about what to do a debt advisor will be able to assist you.

Rent arrears

If you are on benefit and have rent arrears you may be able to get backdated housing benefit to clear the arrears depending on your circumstances.

If you are in arrears contact your housing provider as soon as possible it may be possible to come to some arrangement to help you pay off the arrears by instalments.

Please don't ignore letters. The problem won't go away.

If you are not sure what to do a debt advisor will be able to assist you.

Rent arrears direct payment to landlord

You may also be able to set up an arrangement to have any rent arrears deducted from your benefit and paid directly to your landlord. If you are not sure what to do a debt advisor will be able to assist you.

Debt problems

If you are worried about debt or experiencing financial difficulties the Financial Inclusion Team has debt advisers who can provide free, impartial and confidential debt advice.

They can review your finances and advise you on what options are available to you and find the best solution possible.

Call the team on 01698 332551 or on email


Page last updated:
23 Feb 2022

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time, please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve.

Thank you for your feedback