Skip to main content

Housing alterations and improvements

Tenants and owners of homes may require planning permission and/or a building warrant for certain types of building works.

If you are an existing council housing tenant you should always contact your local housing office if you are thinking about making any alterations or improvements. 

Any cost associated with the works including all legal permissions would be payable by you.

If you are a homeowner you also need permission to carry out work on your home.

All works need to comply with the current Building Regulations and alterations that would change the structure of your home are likely to need a Building Warrant.

Examples of the type of works a Building Warrant is required for include:

  • demolition or alteration of the roof, external walls or other structural elements
  • building or removing load-bearing internal walls
  • conversion of a current loft area into a room.
  • installing stairs
  • cutting ceiling joists for stairs
  • cutting rafters to install rooflights

It is important to be aware that even if after checking a Building Warrant is not required for any planned works, you must still ensure they comply with the current Building Regulations.

To find out more details on the Building Warrant process and costs please visit our Planning and Building Standards section.

If you carry out any works without the appropriate warrants or permissions, you will be re-charged all costs associated with the work that the council requires to re-instate your home and ensure it complies with the current Building Regulations.

What happens if we refuse your request?

Permission to improve you would only be refused if it could affect the safety of your house or involve us in extra expense or difficulty in letting the property to another tenant in the future.

If you have received a rent arrears notice then permission for improvements may not be given.

If you are unhappy with the decision, you can make a complaint through our complaints process.

Can I claim compensation for any improvements that I have already made to my home?

Compensation for improvement work carried out to your home may be payable in certain circumstances.

Page last updated:
30 Nov 2022

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback