Complaints we deal with

You can report the following noise complaints to the council:

  • Noisy neighbours (music, shouting, alarms, DIY at unreasonable hours). This type of noise is investigated by the Anti Social Response Team.
  • Noise from commercial premises (entertainment, ventilation systems, alarms)
  • Noise from industrial premises (factories, construction, demolition, alarms)
  • Noise from wind farms
  • House or Car alarms
  • Nuisance barking

Before you make a complaint

You should first try to resolve the problem early on by talking to whoever is responsible for the noise, before going down the formal complaint route.

How to make a complaint

You can make a complaint about noise by following the links in the 'contact us' box.

What happens after I make a complaint?

We will normally visit you to discuss your complaint and if we can, assess the noise you are complaining about.

We will also write and/or speak to the organisation you are complaining about to tell them a complaint has been made.

If the noise continues after this initial contact, an Environmental Health Officer will visit your home and measure the noise levels. If there is evidence that a statutory nuisance exists, we will serve a notice requiring that the noise be reduced or stopped.

If this is ignored we can prosecute. If the investigator cannot find evidence of a nuisance, they will advise on how you can take action yourself in the Sheriff Court.

Please use the 'contact us' box if you have any questions. For more information, see 'related pages', 'downloads' or 'other useful websites'.

A to Z of services