ScotRail, North Lanarkshire Council, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT), and Transport Scotland have teamed up to create a gateway to the Glasgow City Region at Motherwell station.
Work on a new regional transport integration hub at Motherwell station is set to begin this year, following the appointment of contractors, Balfour Beatty.
The £14.5m project will see the station undergo redevelopment work, as well as an overhaul of the public realm outside the station building, improving links between bus and train services as well as reducing congestion.
Once complete the project will deliver:
- An enhanced station forecourt and building with glazed roof and brighter, larger concourse.
- Improved ticket retailing facilities.
- Enhanced retail environment with food and drink offering.
- Refurbished customer toilets and waiting facilities.
- Improvements to pedestrian and cycling access.
- Expansion of bus facility on Muir Street.
- New facilities for taxis, car drop-offs and disabled parking.
- Expansion of nearby park and ride facilities at Farm Street.
The project will be delivered in two phases, with work on the station redevelopment due to start by Summer 2020, and the transport integration works following in 2021.