Skip to main content

Apply for a building warrant


You need a warrant to demolish a building.

If you are going to demolish a building, either in whole or in part, you need to apply for a building warrant.

Only in exceptional cases will an application be unnecessary, such as the building being subject to a dangerous building notice.

When the application is approved, it will be valid for three years. The warrant will be issued with a condition attached that the demolition works must be completed within a specified time scale.

Other types of permission that may be required for demolition works include planning permission and listed building consent. 

For further information on health and safety matters relating to demolition, you may wish to contact the Health and Safety Executive.

Please contact us if you have any questions.

Page last updated:
29 Mar 2022

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback