Skip to main content
Close notification

Latest service updates, advice for businesses, health information and support for parents

Site inspections and your completion certificate

After your building warrant is granted, you must tell us when your building work is due to start.

Site inspections

A building warrant should always be applied for, and granted, before starting any works.

A Construction Compliance and Notification Plan (CCNP) will be issued to you with your building warrant. This CCNP tells you the key stages of work you need to keep us notified of from the start of the project to the finish. This allows us to carry out inspections, or to check the work at the right time. For more information on what to expect when we carry out a site inspection, please see our building standards inspection guidance.

Alternative evidence may allow us to check the work without carrying out a site inspection. However, we will not accept alternative evidence unless it is first discussed and agreed with us. Alternative evidence can include the use of remote verification inspections, photographs or reports from appropriate professionals.

It is your responsibility to follow this plan and to keep us notified of each stage. You must also make sure those involved in the work and carrying it out on your behalf know about the CCNP and follow it.

If you don't follow your CCNP and keep us notified of work starting, and of key stages of construction, it may result in a disruptive survey being undertaken. We may also refuse to accept your completion certificate. 

Tell us work is starting

You can tell us by sending the form provided at or by completing a report building work starting form.

It is important you tell us seven days before work starts and again during construction at different stages as advised in your Construction Compliance and Notification Plan.

You must carry out your building work in accordance with the building warrant. If you intend to make any changes to the design covered by the building warrant, you must apply for an amendment to building warrant. You cannot carry out the changes until we have granted the amendment.

Completion Certificate

Your building warrant is valid for three years, so you need to submit your Completion Certificate within this time.

If you need more time to complete your work, please contact us to discuss before your building warrant expires. We can consider extending your building warrant to allow you to complete your work. You should submit your Completion Certificate

If electrical work has been carried out you must submit an electrical certificate. We recommend that you use an approved certifier. The Scottish Government's Building Standards Certification Register will provide information on approved installers. Where an approved certifier is not used for the electrical installation, you must demonstrate compliance of the electrical work. For information on how to do this, please contact us.

Page last updated:
12 Jan 2021

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time, please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve.

Thank you for your feedback