This is a £190 million project linking the M74 in the south with M80 in the north.
As part of City Deal, the Pan Lanarkshire orbital transport corridor ('Pan-Lan') will create new and upgraded transport infrastructure in North Lanarkshire. This, together with similar road infrastructure investment planned within South Lanarkshire, will support the economic regeneration of the area.
It is recognised that for the Glasgow City Region to be economically competitive, improvements to the transport network are needed.
The 'Pan Lan' proposes road improvements that will join the M74 to the M80 on a route through Ravenscraig.
The improved connectivity delivered by the road corridor will:
- help to stimulate business investment
- create new employment opportunities
- improve access to jobs in North Lanarkshire and the wider Glasgow City Region
The 'Pan Lan' is made up of three projects
- East Airdrie Link Road - creating a new road link that provides a more direct north-south link between the M8 and Cumbernauld.
- Ravenscraig Access Infrastructure - providing new and upgraded road infrastructure from the M74 at Motherwell, through the strategic economic investment site of Ravenscraig, to the M8 at Eurocentral/Newhouse.
- Motherwell Town Centre and Rail Station - improving public transport and active travel interchange at Motherwell train station.
- 6 October 2020 - Glasgow City Region Cabinet approve the Outline Business Case for Ravenscraig Infrastructure Access (RIA).
- 4 June 2019 - Glasgow City Region Cabinet approve a new and enhanced Outline Business Case for Motherwell Town Centre Transport Interchange
- 10 April 2018 - Glasgow City Region Cabinet approve the Outline Business Case for Motherwell Town Centre Transport Interchange.
- 12 December 2017 - Glasgow City Region Cabinet approve a revised Strategic Business Case for the Pan Lanarkshire Orbital Transport Corridor.
- 18 August 2015 - Glasgow City Region Cabinet approve the Strategic Business Case for the Pan Lanarkshire Orbital Transport Corridor.