What can occupational therapy do?
Occupational therapy is delivered by the integrated rehabilitation team.
We can provide you with advice, equipment and adaptations that you'll need to help you live more independently in your own home or to make it easier for others to care for you.
For instance, we:
- may be able to show you, or anyone who cares for you, different and safer ways of doing things
- can refer you for other services
- can help you to regain confidence at home after time spent in hospital
- have a range of equipment to help with tasks such as getting up from the toilet or out of a bath
- can arrange for minor adaptations, such as grab rails or additional banisters at a staircase
- can also make recommendations for more major structural adaptations to your home, such as a ramp or lift so that you can get around your home in a wheelchair
- can give advice about re-housing if your current home is not suitable to adapt
Following an assessment that identifies a need for further input, we may recommend suitable adaptations that could be made to your home, or help you to find alternative housing options.