With key motorways (M8, M74, M73 and M80) running across and linking the local authority area, rail freight depots and a new transport hub recently built at Motherwell Train Station, North Lanarkshire is the 'best-connected' place in Scotland.
The new orbital route delivered through City Deal will help improve our connectivity even further, linking Motherwell, Ravenscraig, Airdrie and Cumbernauld directly to the M8 and M74 motorway corridors.
New active travel routes are helping to create 20-minute neighbourhoods, connecting our communities and greenspace, town centres, travel hubs and public facilities whilst new access infrastructure such as the City Deal Orchard Farm Roundabout on the A8 will open up new commercial development opportunity.
In addition to this access infrastructure, work is being undertaken to support the delivery of Electric Vehicle (EV) charging across North Lanarkshire. Much of this work is now being undertaken at new housing and commercial developments.
Digital connectivity also remains at the heart of renewing North Lanarkshire, ensuring that all our residents and businesses have access to affordable full-fibre or fast-speed broadband.
To support this, we have entered into a 15-year partnership agreement for digital services with Commsworld. This commercial partnership has been put in place to help deliver high-quality, reliable fibre connections that will make a transformative difference to investment opportunities for businesses in the area as well as tackling digital exclusion among our residents.
Our Active Travel Strategy aims to direct the creation of a wide range of connections across North Lanarkshire that can be utilised for everyday journeys such as travelling for education, day-to-day needs and employment opportunities.
In order to continue to enhance connectivity across North Lanarkshire, it is recommended that we:
- Continue to deliver the City Deal programme.
- Ensure that inclusive economic growth remains at the heart of opportunity to support affordable and accessible transport systems (through the Local Transport Strategy due to be launched in 2024).
- Invest in the delivery of our Active Travel Strategy to ensure a comprehensive connection of active travel routes to key places across North Lanarkshire.
- Support the delivery of Electric Vehicle Charging infrastructure and other green energy transport solutions across North Lanarkshire
- Work with our digital partner to install and invest in infrastructure that helps create one of the best and most affordable/accessible digital provisions in the UK.