Skip to main content

Buildings and contents insurance

Buildings insurance

Building insurance usually covers damage to the elements of a property such as the roof, walls, floors, bathroom fittings and ceilings. 

If you are a North Lanarkshire Council tenant, we provide building insurance for you. You do not need to have this buildings insurance.

If you own your home and have a mortgage, building insurance is something your mortgage company requires you have in place in case something goes wrong.

If you are renting your home from a private landlord or a Housing Association, they should hold buildings insurance to cover your home.

If you own a flat, there are strict rules about having building insurance in Scotland.

Under the Tenements (Scotland) Act 2004, you must insure your own flat and the common property of the building through appropriate building insurance.

Your Buildings insurance must cover against damage by a set of standard risks including:

  • fire
  • storm or flood
  • theft
  • vandalism
  • subsidence
  • leaking water tanks, pipes and domestic appliances etc

The Act gives owners the right to:

  • check any other owners in the building are adequately insured
  • ask for evidence of insurance which must be provided within 14 days. Refusal to co-operate, or an inability to demonstrate adequate insurance, may result in another owner obtaining a Court Order requiring an owner to insure.
  • ask another owner for proof of payment of premiums

Along with other providers, the council can offer the owners of ex-council houses and flats building insurance for their homes with an option of extending the coverage to include accidental damage. 

If you own an ex-council house or flat, details of the policy/cover and premiums that can be provided by the council are available by our finance and insurance section.

Page last updated:
11 May 2022

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback