Skip to main content

Traders/dealers licences

Apply or reapply for a traders/dealers licence.

Application forms

If you want to apply for one of the licences below please contact us to ask for an application form:

  • Itinerant metal dealer licence
  • Knife dealer licence
  • Market operator licence
  • Metal dealer licence
  • Second hand dealer licence
  • Sex shop licence
  • Street trader licence - employee
  • Street trader licence - employer - mobile
  • Street trader licence - employer - static
  • Window cleaner licence

Once you receive the application form please print off the form, fill it in, sign it and enclose the correct fee before sending it to us at the address on the form.

Please make sure you read any notes before you apply.

Notes you must read before you applying for a second hand dealer licence

Activities that need this licence

You will find a list of relevant activities that need a second-hand dealer licence in Section 3 of the Licensing of Activities Resolution document (see below).

Notes you must read before you apply for a street trader licence

When you send your application you must include:

  • two passport size colour photos (no hats to be worn in the photo)
  • detailed location plan of where you want to put your van or the area of operation if you are a mobile trader
  • written permission from the land owner where you want to put your van
  • if you are an employer applying for a static street trader licence you need to check with your planning office to find out if planning permission is needed too. You can email

You  need a street trader licence if you want to sell goods or provide a service in a public place.

You do not need a street trader licence for:

  • sale of newspapers only
  • sale of milk by or on behalf of someone registered under the Food Safety Act 1990
  • sale of coal or fuel that comes from coal or coke
  • any activity where a certificate under the Pedlars Act 1871 has been granted
  • any activity where another type of licence is needed
  • organising or taking part in a public charitable collection that has been granted permission under subsection (16) of section 119 of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982

Notes you must read before you apply for a window cleaner licence

When you send your application you must include:

  • two passport size colour photos (no hats to be worn in the photo)
  • copy of your third party indemnity insurance policy to the value of £1,000,000 (renewal licence only)

If you are applying for the first time we will ask you to provide relevant insurance during the process and before the licence is granted.

You must have a valid licence and badge before you can operate as a window cleaner.

How much will the licence cost?

Page last updated:
07 Dec 2023

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback