A £240 million infrastructure investment for North Lanarkshire.
What is City Deal?
Glasgow City Region City Deal is an agreement between the UK Government, the Scottish Government and eight local authorities, including North Lanarkshire.
It has set up a £1.13 billion infrastructure fund to create economic growth by improving transport and regenerating or developing sites over the next 20 years.
For all the latest City Deal project news, you can follow on Twitter.
Infrastructure delivery fund changes
City Deal investment in North Lanarkshire has increased from £172.5 million to £240 million.
This will allow us to focus on the Pan Lanarkshire Orbital Transport Corridor to enable the regeneration of Ravenscraig and the development of the East Airdrie Link Road to achieve wider economic, social and environmental benefits across North Lanarkshire.
This funding will allow us to provide major road infrastructure to:
- connect communities and place
- increase access to businesses locations and employment opportunities
- enhance sustainable transport
The regeneration of Ravenscraig is a key element of the our vision for the area, which will see £3.5 billion invested over the next 10 years, creating around 12,000 jobs and generating an additional £1 billion for the local economy.
In addition to the City Deal funding, we as a council are providing:
- £29.5 million to support the Ravenscraig road development
- £9 million to enable the delivery of the East Airdrie Link Road
These new roads work together and will create the Pan Lanarkshire Orbital Transport Corridor which will provide a much needed north, south link to help North Lanarkshire grow.
North Lanarkshire has three core projects
There are a number of smaller projects that work together to deliver these larger plans.
The main purpose of City Deal
- support overall growth in the City Region economy
- generate employment opportunities
- attract private sector funding
- spread the benefits of the investment across the whole region
Our projects will:
- improve local transport networks
- support sustainable and active travel
- support the development of key sites
- create employment opportunities
- improve access to employment
- generate significant economic activity to support local businesses including small and medium enterprises (SMEs)
City Deal has two other funds
Innovation and Growth Fund
This has invested £1 million in the MediCity Scotland facility based at Euro Central Business Park.
Skills and Employment Fund
We are involved in labour market projects to help address local employment challenges.
Information for contractors and businesses
Delivering City Deal will require us to purchase a host of goods and services. If you are a local business, please get involved.
SME or third sector organisations interested in bidding for public sector contracts can get extra help. You can access free training and support from the supplier development programme.
City Deal contract opportunities, where appropriate, will be advertised and awarded through Public Contracts Scotland.
Register on the website and select the City Deal category to receive automatic updates.