Developing new, and improve existing, road and active travel routes to support the development Ravenscraig.
The Ravenscraig Access Infrastructure project is the section of the Pan-Lanarkshire orbital route that runs from the M74 at Motherwell to the M8 at Holytown.
This section will link with the East Airdrie Link Road to provide a route through North Lanarkshire to the wider City Region.
The project will:
- provide new road and active travel routes
- make improvements to the existing road
- support the development and regeneration of Ravenscraig
The project is being delivered in two parts
Ravenscraig Access Infrastructure (RAI) South
RAI (South) will create a new road link and pedestrian and cycle paths into Ravenscraig from Airbles Road, up to the Regional Sports Facility.
The new road will go under the West Coast Main Line railway and we will build a new bridge to enable this to happen. We will also need to create a new roundabout on Windmillhill Street.
There will also be other road improvements on Airbles Road at Windmillhill Street and Hamilton Road (A723).
Ravenscraig Access Infrastructure (RAI) North
RAI (North) will be upgrade the A723 for three kilometres from the New Craig Road junction at Ravenscraig to the M8 at Holytown to create a dual carriageway and shared footway/cycleway.
Planning application information
This will enable us to upgrade the road connections between Motherwell and Ravenscraig.
You can view plans and access other information on this by using reference number 21/00695/FUL on our online planning system.
Find out more
We recommend you sign up to our email alerts as the best way to keep up-to-date on the project.
We are also doing other projects at Ravenscraig
- making a new town park
- creating new active travel links - providing new walking, cycling and wheeling routes between Craigneuk and the Sports Facility.
We will always look to keep you up-to-date with what's happening on these projects and issue news releases to keep you informed.
- 30 September 2021 - Planning approval granted - New Ravenscraig transport infrastructure plans approved.
- 26 November 2020 - Public engagement on Ravenscraig project - engagement exercise on plans for a new road.
- 8 October 2020 - Funding approved for £127.2m project - New transport links to open up Ravenscraig site
- 18 August 2020 - New road plans on the agenda - New roads and improvements to open up Ravenscraig regeneration site.
- 27 June 2019 - Scotland's largest regeneration site approval - Planning granted for Ravenscraig Masterplan.
- April 2019 - £200 million boost for Ravenscraig plans under City Deal programme - Revised plans approved for the Ravenscraig Infrastructure Access project.
- 21 December 2017 - £190m roads programme to boost Ravenscraig regeneration - Glasgow City Region City Deal announcement.