Skip to main content

Fuel poverty

What is fuel poverty and where can you get help

Fuel poverty is when a household cannot afford to heat their home to a comfortable level. This can be because of low income, poor insulation and the cost of energy.

Households most at risk are single-person households, the elderly and where a member of the family has a disability or a long-term illness.

Are you struggling to afford to heat your home and looking for advice? Home Energy Scotland is a network of local advice centres covering all of Scotland. Expert advisers offer free, impartial advice on saving energy, keeping warm at home, renewable energy, greener travel and cutting water waste.

Home Energy Scotland is funded by the Scottish Government and managed by the Energy Saving Trust. Its aim is to help people in Scotland create warmer homes, reduce their bills and help tackle climate change.

They provide free impartial energy advice and support. Covering everything from simple energy-saving tips in the home to transport and active travel advice.

If your supplier has recently gone out of business, please visit the Ofgem website for advice on switching.

Our Financial Inclusion Team can also offer practical help and advice to households experiencing fuel poverty.

Another way to reduce your fuel bills is by making your home as energy efficient as possible.

For more information or extra help available in the winter months see our winter services pages.

Deaf or hard of hearing 

Deaf Action Scotland has set up the Bright Deal project. The aim of this project is to advise the deaf and hard-of-hearing communities in Scotland on how to manage their energy bills.

Useful videos on energy-saving advice are available on the Bright Deals Facebook page.

For more information, visit the Deaf Action website.

Page last updated:
23 May 2024

Help us improve this pageClose

We're sorry this page didn't meet your expectations this time. Please let us know if you have any feedback to help us improve the content.

If you have a question or comment about a council service or would like a reply, please contact us.

Thank you for your feedback